Delhi: Beds, oxygen in short supply, Covid toll hits single-day high of 306 | Delhi News – Times of India


NEW DELHI: Delhi recorded 306 Covid-19 deaths in 24 hours on Thursday, the highest since the pandemic began a year ago. It comes at a time when new cases continue to rise exponentially and there is an acute shortage of critical facilities.
Hospitals say the death numbers may go up further if the availability of oxygen support, ICU and ventilator beds isn’t augmented fast.
As of 11 pm on Thursday, there were only four ventilator beds available for Covid-19 patients across the city—one at AIIMS Trauma Centre and three at Base Hospital in Delhi Cantt. The number of vacant Covid ICU beds without a ventilator beds stood at 11, all of them at a private hospital for children.
Meanwhile, the city reported 26,169 fresh cases from 72,208 tests. Of the total tests, only 48,346 were RT-PCR tests. The positivity was 36.24%, which is the highest till date and suggests widespread outbreak.
The number of active cases has reached 91,618. Of them, 46,585 are in home isolation while the rest are under treatment at hospitals, Covid Health Centres and Covid Care Centres, officials said. “A complete lockdown, centralised coordination for admission of the critically-ill and immediate redressal of logistical problems being faced in the supply of oxygen and other critical care supplies are needed to reduce the number of deaths in the city,” Dr Sumit Ray, head of critical care at Holy Family hospital, said.
He added that most hospitals were running to full capacity and if these steps weren’t taken it might get difficult to save lives. “We have expanded over ICU capacity by 40% by utilising all possible spaces,” Dr Ray said.
Doctors say only 15% of Covid-19 patients require admission to hospitals. The rest, 85%, can be managed at home. “Many people are rushing to hospitals early, when the condition is stable, because they are not sure if they would be able to get proper and timely care once the situation deteriorates. This is also leading to overcrowding,” Dr Arun Gupta, president of Delhi Medical Council, said.
He added that patients under home isolation should check their oxygen saturation at least once in six hours. “If oxygen saturation is staying about 94%, there is nothing to worry about. But if it is falling, then one should consult his or her physician to decide the next course of action,” said Dr Gupta.



Source link

Leave a Comment